2 different SP311 manuals

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2 different SP311 manuals
From: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:07:25 +1000
Hi everyone, recently I was cataloging my collection of early Datsun
workshop manuals. I have 2 SP(L)311 service manuals that I assumed were
the same, they have identical covers (slimy green plastic bound with
brass screws) with identical text on the covers. It was only when I was
writing down the publication numbers that I noticed that they had
different publication numbers. The older of the 2 manuals is publication
no. 45121(008318), the newer one is publication no.(11230160). (I think
the numbers in brackets are a date code, does anyone know for sure?) The
first manual is 175 pages long, the other is 181 pages. After a quick
look through both books I found that the 1st is for the 3 bearing
crankshaft engine, it also shows the element type oil filter and the
cast iron water pump. The 2nd manual shows both the 3 bearing and the 5
bearing crankshaft engines, it shows the cartridge type oil filter and
what appears to be the alloy water pump. Most of the rest of the book is
pretty much the same, except for the data in the specifications section.
Most of it is the same but some figures are different. These are the
figures that are different-         older book        newer book
vehicle overall height               1315mm            1300mm
interior size of cargo space
      -overall length                   785mm               750mm
tread - front                             1270mm            1275mm
         - rear                             1198mm             1200mm
min. road clearance                  180mm               145mm
overhang to rear minus bumber 883mm               885mm
frame overhang to rear             828mm               830mm
both cars show the same vehicle weight of 920kg, but a different vehicle
gross weight
vehicle gross weight                 1030kg                1010kg
chassis weight                           502kg                  495kg
height of centre of gravity          473mm                 470mm
fuel consumption                       16 km/l                 12 km/l
starter motor type                     s114-71               s114-91
My first thought was that the newer one was for the high screen SP311,
but the vehicle height in the 2nd book is actually less than in the1st
book. Then I thought maybe it was for a 67.5 SP311, but both books have
a wiring diagram with the 7 dial dash board. According to these figures
there is a 2mm difference in the length (not a lot, I know) and a 7kg
difference in the weight of the chassis. Also the newer one sits 35mm
closer to the road, has a 35mm shorter trunk and uses 25% more fuel. I
have owned several '65 and '66 SP311s and also a '67 but I haven't
noticed these differences.
So, a few questions for you all.
1/ Does anyone have any logical explaination for these differences?
2/ Is there really a 35mm difference in the ground clearance of
different SP311s ?
3/ Is there a difference in the chassis' that would account for the 7kg
variation.
4/ Did anyone else notice that the car in the photo on page 50 (the carb
section) is actually a Silvia?
5/ Should I spend less time reading service manuals and get a life?
Alan Bent  -  Queensland , Australia
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1965 Silvia CSP311
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310
1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310 - 1964 Cedric Wagon WP31
1963 Bluebird P312 -  1963 Bluebird P312
1963 Cedric P31 - 1964 Cedric Wagon 1964
1969 Super Six G130
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/3823/index.html