Re: timing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: timing
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:03:45 -0700
There are a few clues to look for, but there are no guarantees that I know
of.

First, if the upper bracket is still on the timing chain guide, inspect the
driver's side of the bracket for wear marks that would indicate that the
timing chain has been coming into contact with it. If the marks are there,
everything needs replacing.

Second, put the car in a forward gear and roll it BACKWARDS by hand enough
to put tension on the passenger side of the timing chain. That will leave
all the slack on the driver's side. Push against the chain and see if it
will touch the bracket. If it does, it's time to replace things.

But keep in mind that this condition can also be caused by having a head
that has been milled too much (over .030") withou having had the cam towers
shimmed up to compensate. The timing chains might not be worn, but the
condition will need to be corrected anyway.

--
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA