Oil pump in U20

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pump in U20
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:07:51 -0700
Hi,

Finally got around to working on my U20 rebuild, as a knee injury and other
problems got in the way for a couple months. Got around to assembly and
install of the oil pump. I had taken it apart to clean the crud and metal
bits. (This was a blown engine that I had sitting around for 20 years, and
it's going into my '66.)

When I put it together, the gears didn't have the clearance to move. I
can't remember if it had a gasket or not. Are these oil pumps supposed to
have one to sit between the casing cover and the gear case?

I decided against making a gasket, as it appeared that one gear had less
tolerances than the other, and I wanted to avoid a pressure leak during
operation of the oil pump. I ended up sanding the cover and gears and
polishing them smooth, for an exact fit when assembled.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC