Re: Oil pump in U20

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pump in U20
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 99 10:54:31 CDT

> From Fred Katz
>Regarding the priming rod, hoped there was an off-the-shelf part that could do
>the job, like maybe a part from a distributor.

Nope. One reason I started making up those primer rods. Just haven't had
the time in the garage to make the things I wanted to make up!

>I mic'd the measurements, and after a visit to a hardware store for the right
>diameter rod then my grinder goes into action. I'm going to make a mounting
>plate to fit where the distributor goes, so that'll keep the rod in place
>while
Usually I just leave the top open. The oil hose that goes to the distributor
will be sitting there, so I am it back into the hole. You'll get quite a
bit of oil out of it, so makes sense to feed it back into the engine.

>From Dick Ryan
>I also found that after I pre-lubed the engine I could not insert the good
>driveshaft right away.  For some reason (which I can't explain) It would not
>go in until I waited a few hours.  Usually I would pre-lube last thing in
>the evening, then next morning the good driveshaft would slip in with no
>problems.

Most likey you have filled the hole down there with oil. Cold, and slow
moving oil. When you put the drive gear back, you have to "push" a little.
Do NOT bolt on the tach drive housing, and force the bolts. Usually you'll
be off on the drive tang, and just bust the ear off the tach drive housing!

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.