Re: clutch slip

To: denis jiron <doj27288@csun.edu>
Subject: Re: clutch slip
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:55:28 PST8PDT
Denis asks:
> I was wondering what can remedy my clutch slipping. It slips when I take
> off quickly from a stop of sometimes even going into second gear while
> accelerating quickly.

First, is your clutch adjusted so that you have a bit of free play
when you're off the pedal? I'll leave out the 'how to adjust your
clutch' for another post :-)

If it's fully engaged and still slipping, then either the clutch disk is
worn down to nothingness, its friction surfaces are too slippery
(contaminated with oil, glazed, etc) or the pressure plate isn't
pressing hard enough (weak or broken springs).

If all the mechanicals are OK, then your two options are:
1) Detune the engine so you don't have as much torque (KIDDING!)
2) use a pressure plate for a 2000. Same size, tighter springs,
gives your left leg more of a workout.

If you're lucky, it's just an adjustment (which it may be, especially
if you haven't adjusted it in 2 years!)

-- John