Re: brake light question

To: 76245.1056@CompuServe.COM, Datsun-Roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake light question
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 99 09:30:50 CDT
>From: "Ehinger, Lee" <76245.1056@CompuServe.COM>
>There was a thread recently on brake lights - all bulbs are OK, but no
>brake lights.  I by-passed the brake light switch - no brake lights.  Also
>cleaned the ground on the rear cross member.    Still no brake lights....

Lee,

This is for a '68 roadster, correct?

Double check that there is a "six fuse" fuse block in the glove box,
as this description only applies to the '68 model. ('69 & '70 are
different)

On the back tail lights: all four should light up as tail lamps.

The upper two lights should be turn signals.

The lower two lights should be stop lamps.

Bypassing the brake switch should have worked, but since it did
not I would suspect no power to the brake lights. With a 12V test
lamp, double check those connections to the stop lights, one of
the connections should have "12V" applied to it. Other one should

If you have power on one of the leads, most likely is a bad
connection at the socket. I have had problems with the sockets
and corrosion over the years. Sometimes the wire will brake
inside the insulation, other times it is the socket is corroded
and not allowing a good electrical connection.

Do the tail lights work as expected?

Do the tail lights still work when the brake is applied. If you
notice on side of tail lights go OUT when the brake is applied,
you have a bad ground.

Little trivia things. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '67 2000