Re: Any ideas? Overheating 2000...

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Any ideas? Overheating 2000...
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:54:02 -0700
A collapsing hose
        will balloon out once the cooling system pressurizes.  The symptom of a
collapsing hose is initial overheating, then normal cooling once the
cooling system has pressure.  THe water pump doesn't generate much
suction, certainly not 4lbs or 14lbs (depending on your cap!)- the hoses
collapse when the engine cools, everything contracts, and the hose
collapses before the cap can pull a bit of coolant from the catch tank.
        It's much worse in a cooling system that keeps air in it (like the
Pinto) than a total evacuation system that has only coolant (like the
roadster) as air expands and contracts a lot, while water and solid
components contract a lot less...
        As to overheating causes, I'd definately go thru the FAQ'ed list and
get this solved, 'cause overheating will kill your head in short order.
I had a head gasket failure that didn't show bubbles at idle, but only
leaked under load.  Analyzing the gasses that come out of the catchtank
is a sure check- any CO or hydrocarbons, and something's leaking.  Mine
was bad enough, tho, that you could smell it!
Good luck,
Toby

  If the spring