Re: New Member Questions

To: "jim williams" <sportsix63@yahoo.com>, <buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New Member Questions
From: "Neil" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:38:52 +0100
A friend of my has a GT6 - we built a 2.5 litre motor which runs triple
webers and produces around 180bhp - seems to go alright!
If you're set on the V8 route, what might interest you is that we used the
5-speed Rover SD1 gearbox. It needed the flanges on the main chassis rails
trimming back about 10mm (and rewelding!) along with relieving a couple of
ribs on the gearbox. The most awkward bit was shortening the gearlever
remote housing to keep the lever in the right place. I don't know how easily
the Rover clutch housing would have fitted the Triumph body - might have
needed a modified transmission tunnel. In our instance, we made an adapter
plate to fit the GT6 clutch housing onto the Rover 'box, a special spigot
bush and a TR7 clutch plate with a GT6 clutch cover. Last thing was a
special prop-shaft - a GT6 one with a modified Rover UJ on the front end.
Only other question, is the diff. - the Triumph one won't take too much
abuse. The GT6 now has an uprated diff - albeit basically the stock unit.
I have also seen a Herald parked locally that obviously had a V6 or V8 in
it - so it must be possible (the giveaway was that the aircleaner just
peeped through the middle of the bonnet).
Hope this helps
Neil