hybrids of parts (long)

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: hybrids of parts (long)
From: Greg Gall <greg.gall@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:26:26 -0700
Hi,

I have been wanting to get around to the rebuild of this '63 Buick Special
engine (2bbl) I have, but I am still at the collection stage. So far all I
have is an extra complete Rover V8 (1980 vintage), with an Offy 360 intake
and an unknown Carter 4bbl. Unfortunately, the Rover V8 is in pretty bad
shape (I was ripped off by a local business man), as I would have prefered
rebuilding this engine.

When complete, I plan on fitting the engine first to my '76 TR7, which will
serve as a testbed, and then later to my '79 TR7 covertible (I don't want
to screw up this car!).

My thoughts so far are to homologate these parts into one:

Rover heads (better breathing than buick?)
Buick block and pistons (I think the Rover block may be unsalvageable)
Offy 360 intake
Carter carb (wish I could identify this!)
Rover exhaust manifolds
Rover waterpump and timing cover, and pulley sets (more compact?)
(any comments on the above?)

I have some questions about the following:

- As for camshafts, is there any advantage to running either the stock
Buick or Rover camshaft?

The stock buick part can be had very cheaply, but the lift isn't very high,
and it seems to me that the grind is more intended for low RPM torque than
mid to high power - is this true?
The Rover camshaft seems like it might have a more usable higher-end power,
but seems a bit flat in response by the grind numbers (and also by feel
when driving my Rover 3500). I like the fact that the stock Rover V8 has
such a broad power band, but I suppose that it would be ok to scrifice some
of this for a bit better power around 3000-4000 RPM. Would it be possible
to get more HP over the entire RPM by going with a cam of identical angles
of grind, but higher lift?
(Hardcastle suggests that you can go to as much as .45" without any machine
work - is this true? There are a lot of interesting cams with around .46"
lift - too much?)

- What sort of pistons would have been fitted to my '63 Buick special engine?
I remember reading somewhere that some were around 10:1 in compression! If
that is what I have, this opens up the intriguing possibility of using the
Buick 300 heads without any work to anything (ie. the compression would
drop about 1.5 to 8.5:1?). Would all the clearances on the hydraulic
lifters still be ok?

- Lastly, I gather that the timing cover/water pump assembly from a buick
V6 will also bolt right on?
If so, I think it would be beneficial to go to this so I can easily change
water pumps, oil pumps, and also have a compact pulley set.
Also, would the double-roller timing chain for the Buick V6 also work on
the Buick/Rover 215?

Thanks in advance for the feedback! I have never tried to build up an
engine to such an extent, and usually just try to upgrade things to "best
of all stock parts" condition.
---
'76 TR7-V8 (Buick 350)
'77 TR7 4 speed A/C
'79 (March) TR7 DHC Auto
'80 (Dec '79) TR7 DHC 5spd
'80 Rover 3500 EFI, 5 spd, A/C
'80 Rover 3500 parts car !RIP!
'91 Eagle Talon

Gregory Robert Gall, ENT, BSc.   e-mail: greg.gall@iname.com
IT/Hardware Consultant, Calgary, Alberta, CANADA.