Re: Rover V8 into a 240/260-Z

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover V8 into a 240/260-Z
From: Greg Gall <greg.gall@iname.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:44:46 -0700
As rich wrote:
>    Oh that Triumph Stag idea sounds horrible.  It comes with an Aluminum
>single overhead Cam V-8 already !  A very cool engine, but not particularly
>strong.

Actually, this was an iron-block V8 with aluminum heads... (created by
doubling up a Triumph Dolomite/TR7 engine into two banks). This engine was
notoriously bad - had double the problems of the TR7 engine! It was very
prone to overheating and warping the heads...

Actually, BL was considering the Buick/Rover 3.5L V8 during the stag's
development, and built several prototype cars with this engine. Apparently
BL decided to go with the doubled Dolomite engine in the end, as they had
already spent a lot of money in its development... It's kind of a shame...
The Stag would have benefited in handling from the lighter Rover V8, and
certainly would have been easier to maintain!

I guess in retrospect, a Buick/Rover V8 conversion wouldn't be that out of
place in the Stag...

Greg.
---
Greg Gall, ENT., BSc. Physics