Re: [British-cars] XPAG oil pressure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [British-cars] XPAG oil pressure
From: AB Bonds <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:17:49 -0500
Well, first, your pressures are more or less in line with the XPAG in
reasonable health.  I am a little puzzled about the 80 psi, sounds like
you need to pay some attention to the regulator spring.  Someone may
have put a washer under it to compensate for bad bearings (which doesn't
really work).  In any case, 50-60 psi is about right for driving, and 20
at idle is not at all unusual or cause for concern.

The pressure has little to do with your leaks.  Leaks in an XPAG are
fairly normal, but yours sound excessive. You should not have any leaks
in your plumbing (e.g., fittings to the filter).  If so, loosen the
fittings, clean them, and replace them with some sealant--teflon tape is
fine.  You say you are getting a steady stream--where is it coming
from??  You may need to drop the oil pan and replace the gaskets, or
refit the timing chain cover.  Unfortunately, if the leaks are coming
from the front or rear crank seal, you are looking at some major work.

A. B. Bonds, '52 TD