Re: Molding Small Plastic Parts

To: cobra@scs.agilent.com
Subject: Re: Molding Small Plastic Parts
From: EDENMA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:32:25 EDT
Hi Roland!

I have made literally hundreds of small parts for model trains, airplanes and
my Triumphs in this manner.  I have used just about every type of resin and
just about every form of mold material you can think of.  As you can guess,
different materials for different applications.

It sounds to me like one of two things has happened.

1) Your casting material has exceeded its shelf life.  (Particularly a
problem with some types of hardeners)

Fix to this problem is self evident.

2) Your mold material and your casting material are incompatible.

My guess would be that since you indicated that you are making one or two
parts you are using modeling clay as a mold.  I have had problems with this
before with exactly the same results as yours.  I have found that the best
clay to use is "KLEAN KLAY" made by Art Chemical Products, Huntington,
Indiana 46750.  For this type of project the casting material I would
recommend is "Alumilite" manufactured by Alumilite, 225 Parsons, Kalamazoo,
MI 49007.  Their phone is (616) 342-1259.

Both items can be obtained from Micro Mark Tools.  (www.micromark.com)

I made a Stag emblem for the front grille of my Stag using this method,
painted it silver and then embedded it in clear resin, the results were
flawless!  If you want to make several identical pieces (100 or less) you can
make a RTV mold but this is quite a bit more work.

I have no finical interest in any of these companies.  I think, however, this
method would be the easiest, most cost effective, and provide the best
chances for success of all the different materials out there.

Two notes, Alumilite cures yellow so it will need to be painted.  Second, I
highly recommend a small postal scale for measuring equal weights of the two
part mixture.  (I actually use a triple beam balance but I do this a lot.
I'm not sure one or two parts would justify the expense of one of these).
You must use equal weights, not equal volume.  I use a small Dixie cup to
measure and mix the Alumilite.

Well, good luck!  Let me know how it all works out!

Best Regards,

Mark

73 Stag, 73 Spit, 73 GT6, 76 TR6