SU HIF Needle Question

To: "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU HIF Needle Question
From: "Christian, Skip" <ChristianWL@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:47:22 -0400
Hello Group !    I'm new to the group & just bought a '74 MGB (pretty good
shape).  I am going to "modify" the engine to bring it back to the '62 - '64
specs.  Need some help with the '74 carb (HIF AUD-550).  Will a needle from
an HS 4 carb, model AUD 52 (no. 5 needle), work in my carb ??  Or, to put it
another way, will a fixed needle (non spring loaded) work in a HIF carb that
has no provision (that I know of) for jet centering ??  Does anyone have a
list of the parts that are interchangeable between HS and HIF carbs ???  And
if the no. 5 needle won't work in my carb, can anyone recommend a spring
loaded needle that will provide the same mixture curve as a no. 5 ??

Thanks In Advance,  Skip Christian