Re: TR7 BFH#51 - Nitrous?

To: Eganb@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TR7 BFH#51 - Nitrous?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 09:57:25 -0600
At 10:05 PM 2/3/2001 EST, Eganb@aol.com wrote:
>Nitrous Oxide?  Well?  Could I put it in my TR7?
>
>This gasoline fume-induced fantasy came about ....

Yeah, I know how that goes.  Go get some fresh air.

Point #1: You can put the NO kit on virtually any internal combustion engine.
Point #2: You can step it up to virtually and power level you want.
Point #3: You can spend a lot of money in repairs if the engine isn't built
to handle the added power.

NOX installations are very simple in theory.  They generally consist of two
solenoid valves installed in the air intake as close as possible to the
engine.  For a typical carbureted engine this would be in the air cleaner
housing right on the carburetor.  One nozzle injects the NOX, and the other
nozzle injects fuel.  The NOX is an oxidizer.  Think of it as an easily
managed form of liquid air containing a large content of oxygen.  You need
the appropriate mix ratio of NOX to fuel, but given that, what you have is
effectively rocket fuel.  The more of this stuff you squirt into the engine
the more power you get out (until something breaks).  The NOX is held in a
pressure bottle similar to a SCUBA air tank.  The fuel is usually drawn
from the stock fuel tank on the car, sometimes from the stock fuel pump for
mild boost kits, or with an additional fuel pump for higher boost units.

First step basic kits are usually designed for 50 horsepower boost.  While
this is generally considered safe for most stock engines, I'm not sure I'd
want to try it on an engine designed for less than 100 HP to begin with.
(Well, sure, of course I would).  Steps up from there are accomplished with
larger injectors and hoses to increase input flow, and the sky is pretty
much the limit on power boost.  Any of these kits that I have seen come
with a list of recomended engine mods appropriate for the desired boost level.

A given amount of NOX and fuel will produce a given amount of power,
regardless of how fast the engine is running, and most of these "kits" will
be constant flow rate at the injectors when they are triggered.  As such it
gives a HUGE increase in torque at low speed, possibly enough added torque
to damage an engine.  All the extra pressure generated in the combustion
chamber can also cause detonation, especially at low speeds.  As such, the
"trigger" for this system is usually a switch actuated by throttle motion,
such that the injectors will kick in only under full throttle conditions,
and hopefully when the engine is runing somewhat faster than a dead idle.
A water injector is a common addition along with these kits.

>Yeah, I know, I should finish installing the fuel pump first!...

A high flow unit perhaps?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (but not that big)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg