Re: sandblasting and compressor size

To: IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU
Subject: Re: sandblasting and compressor size
From: Miq Millman <mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 13:57:07 PST
Dennis says:

> I think I'm going to get a compressor in the very near future.  Sears has
> one on sale:  4.5hp 25 gallon (I think) and its $299.  It runs off 120V but
> can also run off 240V.
> Any advice on air tool quality??  eg Home base has a collection of
> tools for just $60, price club for $100, and Sears for alot more.

Get the most powerful compressor you can afford/have room/have power for.
I have a 2 stage 5 hp 80 gallon model that I am looking at trading in on a
10hp 120gallon (lays down) that I saw for sale used.  Once you start using
air, you'll never have enough without running the compressor all the time.

If you get a more powerful compressor, you can run the pressure higher in the
tank, and then regulate it, thus getting away with a smaller tank.

As for tools, don't skimp on the frequently used/big job tools.  Get the best
most powerful 1/2" impact wrench you can find.  Hopefully one that has
calibrations in its settings.  There are a couple of new models in the $200
price range that have accurate guages on them for pressure, and the reverse
direction is 50% more than the forward.  This is really nice for removing
stuff, 600# to take off, 50 to put on.  well you know what I mean.  I have
one made by Snap-on like this, I think it ran about $275 brand new.

Invest in a nice 1/4 butterfly as well, they are small and quicker than the
skill wrench for dismantling stuff.  If you can't find a small 1/4 butterfly,
settle for a shorty, 1/4 air wrench and put a swivel in the line next to it.
These are great for tight spaces.

After that, get the cheapest packaged set you can find that has all the nifty
stuff you might want, then plan on replacing what ever breaks with good
quality stuff.  It will break, trust me.

Don't waste money on a pressure washer via a compressor, a special purpose
one is much nicer.  Of course the coin-op car wash is still better than a
garden hose plus compressor powered washer.

A power nibbler is a really cool, albeit expensive tool.  If you get one,
make sure it has a couple of different bits.  These make wonderful smooth
cuts in sheet metal.  I found a used one for sale for $100.  I think that
new, they are very pricy.

Avoid the 3/4" stuff, way to pricey and extreme overkill.

Here are some ideas for setup that I sent to Scott Fisher #1 a couple of
months ago:

>From the tank go upwards first, then to the regulator/water filter.  Run
directly from here with just air.  Don't put an oiler in the permanent hose.

Get 2 of the yellow spiral hoses.  Use one for painting, and have a second
water filter in the connection between it and the permanent hose, and nothing
at the paint gun end but a swivel.  Paint guns get heavy and make your hand
tired if you are spraying correctly (constant hand movement from side to
side, squeeze trigger as you cover area, keep gun parallel in both
directions)  The other line should be used for the regular tools that need
oil, but an inline oiler in the end where the tool attaches.  You might want
to get a 4 foot section as well for when you have to get into really tight
spots and the inline oiler gets in the way.  I have a 4 foot section with a
45 degree swivel coupler on one end (imagine the movement of your index
finger held straight) and a 360 degree knee connector on the other.  By
changing ends with this and using a butterfly tool, you can get into just
about anywhere.  This also helps when using the impact wrench in tight
places.

I am coming to the opinion that a separate regulator and water filter is
better than the combination units.  Sort of like stereo components.

This winter I will be converting my shop to copper for air and have drop
lines in places.  It's looking like about $200 in parts plus my free labor,
but then I have a 36x28 foot area to cover, larger than most garages.

--
Miq Millman   mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com   503 642 6139   (Aloha site)
AL4-55  Intel, 5200 NE Elam Young Parkway, Hillsboro, OR 97124-6497