sandblasting and compressor size

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: sandblasting and compressor size
From: Dennis <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 09:50:20 -0700 (MST)
I think I'm going to get a compressor in the very near future.  Sears has
one on sale:  4.5hp 25 gallon (I think) and its $299.  It runs off 120V but
can also run off 240V.

My wifes father told me that this size compressor would not produce very much
sandblasting pressure.  he said he used (15 year ago) to have a gas powered
one and it would hardly blast enough to strip the rust and paint on a
horse trailer.  The Sears guy said it would sand blast fine.

How are they at pressure washing??

Could they be used to strip paint with the Sodium bicarb in water method
or do you need a proper power washer??

After I saw an air impact driver attached to a home compressor remove the
the crank shaft nut on my 1500 in about .5 seconds after I spent about
1 week, 1 can of WD40, 1 cartridge of propane, 1 torque wrnech, and lots and`
lots of sworking, I've REALLY wanted one.

Any advice on air tool quality??  eg Home base has a collection of
tools for just $60, price club for $100, and Sears for alot more.

Thanks

Dennis