Re: Lucas electrics

To: TVRVixen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lucas electrics
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 21:48:16 -0800 (PST)
TVRVixen@aol.com wrote:

> A short while ago there was a question here asking about
> (I think I remember correctly) the pros & cons of MGA ownership.
>  A reply to this question gave lots of info, including mention of the e
> lectrical system being a negative.
[...]

> These cars electrical systems are very easy to work on and parts
> are available at "reasonable" prices (when you consider that
> they are really antiques).

*** I could add that one can ``fix it once and fix it right'', and not
have any more electrical problems.  I know its possible, I did it. Here's
how I achieved  electrical Nirvana with my `58 MGA:

   *  Changed out the complete wiring harness.  At the time, they cost
   about $100 from Moss.  Probably a bit more now.  Changing the harness
   took a day or so.  First, I got the schematic and the new harness, and
   labelled every single wire with masking tape tags.  Then I ruthlessly
   chopped the old harness out of the car, hacksawing it in half where
   it passed through the firewall.  Put in the new harness with all new
   grommets.

   *  Had the generator rebuilt by a local shop.  ( $70 )

   *  Changed out the starter brushes myself.

   *  Replaced the two 6V batteries with a single 12-volter.

   *  Replaced the voltage regulator.

   *  Converted the car to negative ground.

   *  Took out all the gauges, panel lights, and switches, cleaned the
      connections with TV tuner cleaner and Cramoline.

   And that's about it.  There are still a couple of things I should
   probably modify:

   *  The MGA ignition coil is bolted to the top of the generator;  probably
      the worst place one could dream up for a coil.  So far, I've lost
          3 coils in that car.  I believe they moved the coil to the firewall
          on the MGB; woudn't be such a bad idea for the `A, either.

   * There are only two fuses in the whole car: one for the horn, the other
   one for everything else.  Well, except for all the stuff that's totally
   unprotected.   I'm tempted to put in more fuses, fuse _everything_.

                                  - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@tr2.com )