Lucas electrics

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas electrics
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 22:59:27 -0500
A short while ago there was a question here asking about
(I think I remember correctly) the pros & cons of MGA ownership.
 A reply to this question gave lots of info, including mention of the e
lectrical system being a negative.

Before everyone gets set to blast back at me, I want to make it clear
that I am not claiming that Lucas has great quality nor am I trying to
annoy whoever said the electrical system is a negative.

However, I think sometimes we lose a little perspective when we
have problems with our cars.  I think we should  remember the
really positive things about having a british car with a 1960's
electricals, especially for an owner who wants to do their own service.
These cars electrical systems are very easy to work on and parts
are available at "reasonable" prices (when you consider that
they are really antiques).  If you don't agree, price a new alternator
for your Volvo or an igntion module for your Ford.

First, the simplicity.  These cars are perfect for the home mechanic.
The wiring diagram for the 1960's cars fit on one page of the manual
with lots of room around the wires. The later cars with all the added
lights, seatbelt warning systems, climate control and other stuff are
not for amateurs.  You can diagnose most faults with a test light, later
cars need a computer.  Anyone out there just buy an XJS?  The XJS
manual I have has 10 pages of wiring diagrams, you have my sympathy!

The ignition system?  The distributer is very easy to work on.  Points
are simple.  If you don't like Lucas parts there are many other companies
making points, condensors, caps, rotors, coils and wires. The replacement
parts are inexpensive and if the car quits running because of an ignition
problem it is easy to figure out. Late model cars with their electronic
ignitions are great, but a home mechanic faced with a dead car ends up
replacing nonreturnable and expensive parts one at a time till it he/she
hits on the bad one.

The fuel system?  The whole electrical system for the fuel sytem is the
SU fuel pump and the  wire that runs to it.  After the car quits running once
or twice you put in a better quality pump and a pressure regulator and
it never happens again.

Charging system?  A VOM is all you need to test it.  If you really want to,
you can put in an alternator.

I have said enough.  I think any of us would rather be sitting at the side
of the road with a box of tools and a non-running MGA than be stuck with
a dead minivan, Taurus, late-model Volvo or Saab or most anything else.

I think 1960 - 1973 british cars are ideal for the person who likes to get
their
hands dirty and have fun.  And a big part of this is because the electrics
are simple and easy to figure out.

Don