Re: British Cars Digest #1458 Wed Nov 23 01:15:02 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1458 Wed Nov 23 01:15:02 MST 1994
From: orin@infi.net (Orin B. Harding)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 12:46:55 -0500
>Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 19:30:45 CST
>From: "Donald Williams" <wi0297@[165.95.48.6]>
>Subject: Overdrive Retro-Fit (1978 MGB)
>
>Can anyone provide information about retro-fitting an overdrive unit into
>a late model MGB?  According to Lindsay Porter & Dave Pollard's book:
>"Improve & Modify MGB", you must also change the driveshaft to accomodate
>the change in longitudinal position of the splines (p. 161 mu19.4).  Can
>anyone explain a little bit better what this means?  Also, what other
>modifications are needed to install an overdrive unit (wiring changes,
>etc...).  Are the top-end benefits worth the efforts?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Don
>- ---------------------------------
>Donald C. Williams
>Senior in Marine Biology,
>President, Galveston Grotto
>Texas A&M University
>Galveston, Texas
>
>Reply to: wi0297 @tamug3.tamu.edu
>Or to: wi0297@165.95.48.6
>- ---------------------------------

Don, I installed an O/D in my '79 "B" and it is a easy conversion.  You will
need to install a on-off switch for the O/D, I used the gearshift mounted
switch, and wire as shown in the repair manual.  No need to change the
driveshaft!  MG changed to one length (31.125") for both O/D and non-O/D
transmissions in Oct. '67 (car # roadster 138401 and GT # 139472).  The
different lenghts that Porter is talking about were for cars built prior to
this date.

You can call me if you want to discuss further (910) 299-4819 and the change
is very much worth the effort!
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 19:36:39 CST
>From: "Donald Williams" <wi0297@[165.95.48.6]>
>Subject: Air Conditioning in a MGB
>
>The other day I sighted a 1979 MGB roadster in a junk yard near my house.
>thinking that perhaps it had some salvagable parts, I went over to take a
>look at it.  To my suprise the car was fitted with an after-market air
>conditioning unit.  The unit seems to be complete except for the parts that
>should be under the hood (cooling radiator, & air pump).  Has anyone else
>seen one of these units before?  Where may I get repair & replacement parts
>from?  (JC Whitney maybe??????)
>
>Thanks for any imput........
>
>Don
>- ---------------------------------
>Donald C. Williams
>Senior in Marine Biology,
>President, Galveston Grotto
>Texas A&M University
>Galveston, Texas
>
>Reply to: wi0297 @tamug3.tamu.edu
>Or to: wi0297@165.95.48.6

>Don, Don't know where you can buy the parts for the MGB A/C now.  You'll
have to find a parts car and remove the engine mount, etc. from it.  Try to
find a later conversion with the rotary compressor. It doesn't take near the
power to run as the earlier type.  If the price is right, I would buy the
interior (evaporator) unit as they are hard to find.  By the way, this was
NEVER a factory option, always dealer installed.   Regards
Orin Harding - Greensboro, NC
('71 MGB Roadster - Early '74 MGB-GT - Late '74 MGB-GT - '79 MGB Roadster)