midget sway-bars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: midget sway-bars
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 94 10:20 EST
Dennis asks :
>Could someone give me some input with respect to anti-sway bars on
>rubber bumper Midgets.
>
>FASPEC in Oregon says:  Use a 3/4 inch bar.  Do not use a rare bar as these
>can actually make the car handle worse.

I have a street 1975 Midget with the largest sway-bar that Winner's Circle
sell (7/8"??). The difference in handling is astounding. I removed the sway-bar
a couple of weeks ago to replace the bushings, and ran the car for a few days
without the bar. In this fashion, the car understeers (progressivly) a lot,
rolls enough on hard corners that the front outside tyre rubs against the lip
on the fender.
With the sway-bar, understeer in reduced dramatically, although
trailing-throttle
oversteer is increased (so be carefull at the limit), and there is no roll.
In this setup, you can take corners a lot faster, with a greater amount of
confidence.

HOWEVER :::::
   1 - you will find that the ride gets a lot firmer, especially when hitting
potholes with one wheel only. In this case the sway-bar is acting as an extra
front
road spring.
   2 - If you get the sway-bar with the heim joints, you will find that dirt
gets into the joints and wears then out quickly. I solved this problem by
dipping
the heim joints in a product called "Plastic-Dip", which escecially coats the
heim joint with a pliable plastic skin.

Gerry
PS - I also have a rear-anti-roll bar, which I have never fitted to the car, so
can not make any judgements.