Re: Land Rover Defenseless

To: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Land Rover Defenseless
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 10:07:58 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, Andy Mace wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:
>
> [cut, cut here]
>
> > I said, "Well, at least the car wasn't perfect before the accident.  Look,
> > the rear fender was full of bondo." It was; the crumpled left rear fender
> > had about 1/8 inch of your basic pink bondo over very rough-looking
> > aluminum.  The mechanic said, "That is probably factory work.  Sometimes
> > the panels don't line up and they bondo them."
>
> [snip, snip there]
>

> OTOH, with the Land Rover, maybe the company is trying to save a few
> Pounds by making do with worn-out panel tooling. But that leads to the
> question of "why bother making perfectly straight panels for a vehicle
> that begs to be thrashed about off-road?"
>
> Now, the REAL question: was the Defender still driveable? I'd expect
> nothing less....
>
> Andrew Mace

A correction is needed.  When I returned to pick up my car, the humpbacked
Rover was still there, and I realized it was not a Defender.  It was an
older model, I am not sure what they were called.  One of those imported
just before the Defender which had the pipe racks surrounding the body.

And to answer the REAL question, I think it was.  I planned to collect my
car, and then go over and check the exact model so I could correct my
mistake, but it was gone before I got back.  I didn't see a tow truck.

So yes.  It must have looked like an inchworm going down the road, but it
went down the road.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910