Overdrive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive
From: thelaw@aloha.com (Paul Swengler)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 05:36:10 -1000
-From: "Donald Williams" <wi0297@[165.95.48.6]>
-Subject: Overdrive Retro-Fit (1978 MGB)

-Can anyone provide information about retro-fitting an overdrive unit into
a late model MGB?

I don't recall what years the B's changed transmissions but the location of
the shifter moved somewhere in the late 60's to early 70's. I havn't owned
an MG in six years and don't recall the detail. The transmissions are not
compatible but for the gears. In otherwords you can't slap an A type OD unit
on a 4 speed box. The drive splines (shafts) in a 4 speed are two piece and
in an OD they are three piece. I suggest you search the yards for an OD trany.

- Are the top-end benefits worth the efforts?

I believe they are if you do highway driving. You'll save about 400 rpm at
60. and pick up about 10% to 15% fuel efficiency at those speeds. ( OK so
you'll go from 18 MPG to 21 or 22.) Although the trany's allow 2 through 4th
gear OD the efficient power range for a non race engine is in fourth after
ataining cruising speed. I fitted my 64 with one and was pleased. All my
TR's are fitted with OD as well as my AH MIII.

Trust this helps.
Aloha,

Everyone learns from their mistakes...
Some people learn to repeat them while others learn not to.

Paul Swengler                      Providing Hawaii's Legal Community
The Law Book Store            with quality legal materials since 1990
4557 Ukali St.            New & Used Books, Anatomical Models, CD-Rom
Honolulu HI 96818
Voice: 808-422-6322    Fax: 808-423-8282