Re: Land Rover Defenseless

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Land Rover Defenseless
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 16:18:13 PST

On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

[cut, cut here]

> I said, "Well, at least the car wasn't perfect before the accident.  Look,
> the rear fender was full of bondo." It was; the crumpled left rear fender
> had about 1/8 inch of your basic pink bondo over very rough-looking
> aluminum.  The mechanic said, "That is probably factory work.  Sometimes
> the panels don't line up and they bondo them."

[snip, snip there]

Ray, a friend told me some years ago of the time when he had his 1959
Rolls-Royce repainted. The bodyshop uncovered "bondo" that they were sure
must have been there from the factory. It may not be a factor of how well
the panels line up, just how smooth the surface is v. what is desired.

OTOH, with the Land Rover, maybe the company is trying to save a few
Pounds by making do with worn-out panel tooling. But that leads to the
question of "why bother making perfectly straight panels for a vehicle
that begs to be thrashed about off-road?"

Now, the REAL question: was the Defender still driveable? I'd expect
nothing less....

Andrew Mace