Re: TR6 instrument knobs.

To: PJ Hartman <hartmanp@iia.org>
Subject: Re: TR6 instrument knobs.
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 16:46:47 PST

On Tue, 15 Nov 1994, PJ Hartman wrote:

> need to get the control knobs (i.e. light switch, etc.) off their shafts
> before I may remove the dash (from all appearances).  The knobs, as you
> know, are fitted onto shafts, and are held in place by what seems to be a
> pin driven through the shaft.  My dilemma surfaces when I realize that
> the knobs have only ONE hole, not two.  The pin can be driven into the
> knob/shaft configuration, but how the heck do you remove it?  Please save
> me while I've got some hair left.

If the knob in question is similar to the Mk.IV and 1500 Spitfire wiper
switch (not to mention some of the dashboard switch knobs on the older
cars), one uses a small drift/punch/piece of stiff wire/whatever to
depress the pin to clear the knob. Then pull the knob off. It works sort
of the same way an adjustable clothing rack in a store or some tentpoles
work. If, though, it's like several of the aforementioned Spitfire wiper
switch knobs I've encountered in the past, you'll pull the entire shaft
out no matter how careful you are. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to harm
the switch any (at least not when this has happened to me).

Don't know how the choke cable is on the TR6, but on the later Spitfires
the knob is an integral (read: permanent!) part of the inner cable. On
those, one disconnects the cable at the carb(s), pulls the entire knob
and inner cable assembly through and out, then remove the threaded ring
holding the outer cable to the dash, then remove dash.

As always, YMMV.

Andy Mace
Hoag's Corners, NY