RE: race prep for Vitesse

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: race prep for Vitesse
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 13:45:05 -0700 (MST)
Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil> writes:

> I will be assisting a friend rebuild his Vitesse  (1.6l) engine this
> winter. He wants to make it a little more 'peppy', cam, headwork etc etc.
> Are there any race prep manuals out there for this engine? Can i use
> A GT6 race prep manual? (practically the same engine).

Actually, it's not practically the same engine, there are quite a
few differences.  My suggestion is that you contact John Kipping
of Triumph Spares in the UK to discuss the feasibility of this
enterprise, he's a leading expert.  I'm in a similar position,
I would love to rebuild my 1600/6, but...

Parts are indeed scarce (read becoming unobtainable) for this
engine, and TriumphTune offers almost nothing for it.  Unless
you're willing to spend a lot of money and time, a 2L conversion
is obligatory if you're planning to do anything to this car.  In
fact, if you really want the full range of options you'll have to
go to the later full-head 2L, discarding your manifolds in the
process.

But do keep us (me) posted on this, I'd be very interested...

Dan Parslow
'65 Vitesse 1600 Convertible