Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber

To: Douglas Mitchell <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Subject: Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 12:25:12 -31702 (PDT)
On Mon, 10 Oct 1994, Douglas Mitchell wrote:

> On the camber problem.  Changing the rear spring will have no effect on
> the rear camber. Believe me. Been there, done... I completely rebuilt the

I don't understand what you're getting at.  The rear end of the spit is
swing axle.  Rear camber is directly proportional to the ride height of
the car.  Put on a stiffer spring, camber is affected positively.  Load 5
greaseball mechanic buddies on the trunk for the victory lap and camber
is affected negatively.
        If Margret's car has terminal negative camber, a spring that
increases the ride height will positively affect camber.

        Also, the radius rod going to the x-member behind the seats pulls
the wheel hub forward as suspension deviates from center, causing
toe-in.  So it is certainly in Margret's best interest to get the camber
worked out properly, so that the toe alignment will also be correct.

        Greg (university engineering type, however not necessarily
              over-educated just yet) Meboe