TD Oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Oil
From: Bob Hamilton <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 94 10:02:14 PDT

===========stuff deleted============

>Are you sure it's non-detergent?  Non-detergent motor oil is almost
>impossible to find these days, for the very good reason that it's not
>recommended for use in _any_ engine (unless you _like_ sludge and
>varnish).  Anyway, whether or not it's detergent oil has no effect on oil
>pressure, since the addition of detergents has no effect on viscosity.

        Actually this week I purchased SAE 30 Valvoline non-detergent motor
oil for the gearbox on my newly purchased '53 Alpine, no problem. Everyone
wants to put SAE 80-90 in them. Wrong!

        I agree that a *detergent oil* should be used in the engine. BTW,
what is the difference between a motor and an engine, or are they synonymous?

Bob
Robert A. C. Hamilton, Waverley, N.S., Canada
E-mail: rhamilto@fox.nstn.ns.ca
Date: 10/23/94
Time: 10:02:14