Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber

To: Douglas Mitchell <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Subject: Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 12:05:57 -31702 (PDT)
> Douglas Mitchell writes:

> Actually, under the condition as described, buddies on trunk, etc., the
> camber will be positively affected. The spring in the Spit is a transverse
> leaf spring, not a coil. And since it sits on top of the axle, and attaches
> to the top of the trunions, it tends to push the top of the tires out. At

        Doug, If you load up the rear of a spit, camber doesn't go
positive, it goes negative.   I'm assuming we're using the traditional
definition of camber: negative means the tops of the tyres are farther
inward than the bottoms, and positive means the tops are farther outward.
        The transverse spring doesn't connect directly to the hub, this
is only so on the roto-flex equipped GT-6's.  Instead, the spring bolts
to the vertical link, which has a central pivot on the hub itself.  So
the angle of the vertical link on the spit is independent of the hub and
hence the wheel.  The spring doesn't 'push out' on the wheel, it only
pushes downward on the hub.
        Camber compensators that attatch to the bottom of the vertical
link inhibit transverse movement of the vertical link, and therefore
actually 'bind' the suspension in a central location.  As a result,
they're somewhat uncomfortable on the road.