Re: Weld-thru coatings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weld-thru coatings
From: mhabich@genesis.nred.ma.us (Michael Habich)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 23:41:21 -0400 (EDT)
keith@anolis.bnr.usu.edu (Keith Mott) writes:
> Hmmmm..... there seems to be some difference of opinion between Ray
> Gibbons and Mike Habich about the value of weld-thru coatings.  Ray, is
> it possible that you used the $6.50 stuff from Eastwood?   Regardless,
> it SOUNDS like a good idea, so I am now in search of the expensive stuff
> to try it for myself.

Actually, I can't disagree with Ray.  The coating doesn't make a better
weld, and might hurt weld quality a bit.  Even so, in the case of a lap seam
I'd trade off that effect to get something between the layers of metal.
No, lap seams don't belong in panel repairs, notwithstanding the joddled
edges on pieces like MGA fender doglegs, but they are the way sills and
the like are assembled.

Whatever you do, keep the metal to be welded _clean_.  Blasting works,
grinding sorta works but leaves uneven edges.  A sheared edge welds nicely;
if there's a burr on it that's OK, since the extra metal feeds into the weld.
I've had luck with filed edges on sheet metal--the file straightens wobbly
shearing, and leaves a much more uniform gap than grinding.  Practice,
practice, practice.  Have fun.

Mike