Re: Centre Caliper seal

To: Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Centre Caliper seal
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 10:44:14 PDT

> > do not split the calipers because apparently the little O-rings that seal
> > the hydraulic circuit are not re-usable and will leak upon reassembly.
> >
> > Regarding the O-rings, does anyone know of as source for the O-rings,
> > without having to buy a whole rebuild kit.  Any-one have a contact for
> > Girling or Lockheed, it would help me with my previous brake upgrade idea.
> > O-rings must resist brake fluid.
>
> A couple of the usual sources have just started carrying these seal- I
> think I've seen them In the latest Moss & Mini Mania listings, and Dave Bean
> Has been known to carry them for some time now. The seals are the same for
> many (most?) Girling or Locheed calipers.

I got the seals for my Girling calipers from Dave Bean.  BTW, these are
NOT O-rings but flat "washer" seals.  Even the snake oil place I
usually deal with didn't know that.  I returned the O-rings they sent
to me.

According to Bean there was only one size seal used for all Girling
calipers.  I can't say for sure that that's true for Lockheed however.
As to the old ones not being re-usable, I strongly suspect that's true.
The seals I replaced were CONSIDERABLY thinner than the new ones after
25+ years of being crushed between caliper halves.  Besides, new ones
are so cheap why bother re-using the old ones.

Roland Dudley
cobra@cdc.hp.com