Re: Spit/GT6 Brakes, drivetrain, resto question

To: b-c
Subject: Re: Spit/GT6 Brakes, drivetrain, resto question
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 09:51:54 -0500
Sorry not to respond via email, Marcus, but I still don't get sender info
on my mail from the list...

You'll have trouble finding a '75 GT6 - they stopped making them in 1973. I
would assume the best GT6 for Spit 1500 parts would be a Mark III (1971-73).
The brake parts swap out pretty cleanly, from what I hear.

The GT6 drivetrain is ANYTHING but robust. I don't know how it compares to
the Spit (about the same, I think), but it is the weak spot of the car. I've
replaced the rear end of my car, and I'm now about to replace the gearbox.
Both are weak and getting harder to find.

If you are going to put some foreign engine into the Spit, I would suggest
going all the way and getting a foreign gearbox and rear end, too. One
reason I've not considered putting a 2.5litre engine into the GT6 is the
weakness off the drivetrain. Some big hp monster would tear things up
in no time!

Now, as for suspension geometry, the rotoflex GT6's are the best. The Mark II
and early Mark III GT6's had lower wishbone rear suspension. They went back
to swing axles later, apparently to save money.

Currently Triumphantly challenged,

Larry