TRs, gear oils, Regionals

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TRs, gear oils, Regionals
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 22:16:34 -0500
I've been toying with this idea for some time now and I think it's
time to ask for some net.wisdom.  (Who knows, you may get to see your
name in a future issue of The Vintage Triumph :-)
  Subject?  Gear oils for Triumph trannys, original and the new synthetics.
            What works, what won't.

I'd like to tackle this subject in two parts.  First part today, second
part later.

Can someone tell me what the factory recommended for
TR2,3,4s, and Spit/GT6 gearboxes?  I know GL-4 is recommended for
5,250,6,7-4sp and I know ALL about the TR7/8 5 speed :-)  Are any
of these trannys shared between cars?  For example, did any other car
use the TR7 4 speed box?  What about the Spit/GT6 box?  Anyone have
a good reference I should be reading?  Has this topic been discussed
before and I missed it?

To keep list volume down, please send your reply directly to me
at  jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  and I'll compile the results and post
them all in one message.

Thanks!
jim

BTW, the South Central Regionals are this weekend in San Antonio.  The
Concours is Saturday morning, Hemisfair Plaza.  I'm gonna try and find
some original Owners Manuals for the early TRs and see if I can find
out the answer to my question first hand :-)  I'll also be taking
along a handycam (8mm) in case any of you are interested in checking
out the cars here in central TX...

PS:  it occurs to me that I've forgotten about the other Triumphs
(e.g., Stag, 2000, Herald, etc).  I am, of course, interested in
those too :-)