sunbeam brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: sunbeam brakes
From: jfhess@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (John Hess)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 08:24:56 -0800
Louis Collins wrote about his sunbeam brakes and brake fluid mysteriously
disappearing.  I had the same problem 2 years ago and although I had a
hunch where the fluid was going, I didn't really want to accept it.

The fluid is almost certainly going in the booster.  As I said, I had the
same problem, brake fluid level going down, no leaks anywhere.  In my case,
I had good brakes and pedal pressure. However, I had a non-regular need to
add brake fluid to the master.  Some days up to normal, no change, some
days way down. Then, when I finally decided to deal with the problem, I
broke a brake line leading into the booster. I then learned how to make
bubble flares and re-manufactrured the proper brake line.  I also made an
adapter to bypass the booster so I could drive the car with manual brakes.
No real difference to me.

Anyway, the correct thing to do is pull the booster and rebuild it (after
pouring the fluid out of course). Rebuild kits with new rubber seals are
available from Sunbeam Specialties, however, the big leather seal is not
available. I am now running DOT 5 silicone since it doen't hurt paint.
Several months ago, Victoria British had it on sale, and I bought a quart.

As far as the rear, can't help you.

John Hess, PhD                    Phone me 916 752 8420
Dept of Human Anatomy             FAX me 916 752 8520
University of Calif               Email me jfhess@ucdavis.edu
Davis, CA                         or leave me alone, your choice.