Re: Adventures In Resurrecting A Spitfire

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: Adventures In Resurrecting A Spitfire
From: pwv@tc.fluke.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 12:59:19 PDT
Larry,

> I've got this 1970 Spitfire Mark III in my shed out on the farm, and now I
> need to revive it. It has run in several months, and it has apparently been
> sitting out in the elements for a long time.

Hmmmm, did you mean to say that it has NOT run in several months??

> Last night I put in a new battery, checked the oil, and tried it out. It
> turns  over great, the the plugs got wet, so the fuel pump and carb are
> doing their part. No spark, however.

The most likely suspect when an engine has been sitting in the elements without
being run is a layer of oxidation on the points, which can very effectively
insulate the points from each other.  When cranking the engine, you should
see 0V on the distributor side of the coil when the points are closed and +12V
when they open.  If you don't, then use a small file or a piece of fine
sandpaper to knock any oxidation off of the point contacts.  If that's the
problem, it won't take much to clean it off.

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv