Adventures In Resurrecting A Spitfire

To: b-c
Subject: Adventures In Resurrecting A Spitfire
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 09:57:03 -0500
I've got this 1970 Spitfire Mark III in my shed out on the farm, and now I
need to revive it. It has run in several months, and it has apparently been
sitting out in the elements for a long time.

Last night I put in a new battery, checked the oil, and tried it out. It turns
over great, the the plugs got wet, so the fuel pump and carb are doing their
part. No spark, however. I checked and the coil is getting +12v when the
ignition switch is on. Funny, though, the - side of the coil showed +12v, too!
I assume this isn't right? Anyway, I put on a spare coil and it did NOT show
+12v on the - side of the coil,  but still no spark.

I believe I'll try new plugs and a new coil next, since my spare isn't exactly
dependable. The points and rotor and cap look pretty good. I'll try replacing
the condensor too. Any other ideas?

Once it's running, I plan to strip it all the way down and get it media
blasted. There are several thick coats of paint on the car, and the top coat
is horribly oxidized and chipped. I can't see any other way to clean this up
in any reasonable amount of time. The cost will be about $300. The firewall
has quite a bit of rust, but there appears to be enough good metal under it,
except for the battery box, which I'm going to have to replace.

Has anyone out there used media blasting before? Any cautions or warnings
before I commit to this?

Thanks,

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com