Re: First ride...

To: Simon Waddington <waddy@vsfl.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: First ride...
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 14:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

Then Simon Waddington wrote:

> I beg to differ.
>
> 1.5 miles is nowhere near far enough if you're planing to drive it.  I

I should have said, "...a commute of 1.5 miles should be perfect, because
it wouldn't be essential that any of the cars start." But I was joking,
only joking, folks.  Kermit has never failed to start.  His engine even
started sitting on its pan on the garage floor, and happily hummed along
with only slight vibrations as the mechanic ran in the cam and lifters at
2K rpm.

I have always wondered, is the business of mating the cam and lifters by
running the engine fast when you first start it something it really is
necessary to do, or is it one of those "my daddy told me you should
always..." things that get passed along but have no basis in fact?  What
is going to happen at 2K rpm that wouldn't happen if you just started the
engine and idled it?  And if something does happen, why isn't it undone
when you do idle it?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910