First ride...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: First ride...
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 14:30:14 -0400 (EDT)
Well, group,

The snow and some of the mud have receded here in Vermont, and leaves are
poised ready to bud.  It will happen over a week, real soon now, and it
will be summer.

Saturday, I planned to tour open houses, in my quest for a big garage with
a couple of livable rooms attached.  At the last minute, I decided that it
might *not* rain, and even if it did, trundling here and there would be
more fun in Kermit, the tree-frog green bugeye Sprite.  My faithful
companion was willing to go along with the idea.

There was no time for lengthy preliminaries.  I hooked up the (new)
battery, spun the engine on the starter until the oil guage read over 50
psi, and turned the key.  It caught immediately.  Brakes?  Yes, brakes.
Clutch?  Yes--the White Post brass sleeved master cylinder is holding
firm.  I lowered the tire pressure, and we were off, with the chrome still
covered with oil.

It was a lovely day.  Kermit was great--I am learning that I have more
fun if I don't drive him like a modern car.  He is happy at 55 mph,
not happy at 70mph.  The trick is to think about the trip, not about
arriving at the destination.  There are bugs on the windshield, now, and
mud under the fenders.

I found a garage.  The house isn't bad either, but I shall have to eat a
small hole in my stomach worrying about it.  I am trying to think of it as
a long term lease with very complicated terms; that is easier than
worrying about the price, and probably more accurate.  It looks like a
place that would need little maintenance, leaving time for a possible
Alpine or MGB project if there is any money left.  There is room for
another garage, too, but that's dreaming.  Only trouble is it is only 1.5
miles from work, so I might not need a car at all.  Then again, I could
pull a Teri-Ann, and rely entirely on lbcs.  In that case, a commute of 1.5
miles should be perfect.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910