Re: SU Shafts

To: okane@cscns.com
Subject: Re: SU Shafts
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 11:21:28 PDT
Olin Kane asks: Does anyone know if I can drill out the body with a "P" size
drill bit?  It is the same size as the replacement shaft, .3230 ".  I know I
should
use a reamer but Moss gets over $100 for it.

You must be very careful here!  There are *three* considerations:
1.  The correct shaft bore diameter...
2.  The correct *alignment* of shaft bores thru the carb body...
3.  The correct *location* of the bores, WRT the original shaft centerline.

Not only must the shaft fit, it must pass through both bores of the carb body
AND be on the original centerline so the throttle plate fits (closes) correctly.

The Moss reamer will assure you of getting 1 and 2 right.  A machine shop is
your best bet to accurately find the original shaft centerlines.

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive