XJ6-III Rack Bushings

To: "'SMTP:british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: XJ6-III Rack Bushings
From: mike_israel@merck.com (Mike Israel)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 10:48:00 EDT
The Jag dealer tells me my oil feed and return hoses have been leaking onto
the rack bushings and said bushings now need replacing.  (Amazing!  A
British car that leaks oil).

Although the dealer is quite willing to do the work for an exorbitant amount
of money
I first went home and looked up the steering rack to determine if this is a
job I want to tackle myself.  After reviewing the two manuals I have I still
find no mention of rack bushings.

Are these the bushings holding the rack to the chassis or are they internal
to the rack?  I suspect they must be somewhat obvious if oil is leaking on
them.  How difficult are they to replace?  What is the general procedure for
doing this work?

On behalf of myself and the many shade tree mechanics on this forum I would
like to thank the gurus who continually post responses.  The info I get here
is often based on years of experience and is usually far better than the
shop-manuals.

Regards,

                        >> Mike Israel <<
               mike_israel@merck.com