Re: XJ6-III Rack Bushings

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: XJ6-III Rack Bushings
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 00:15:21 -0400 (EDT)

> The Jag dealer tells me my oil feed and return hoses have been leaking onto
> the rack bushings and said bushings now need replacing.  (Amazing!  A
> British car that leaks oil).

Actually, a Jag that has a big enough oil leak to soak and kill the rack
mounts is fairly rare. The "classic" owner bitches about the driveway spotting
long before it gets this bad. :>

> Although the dealer is quite willing to do the work for an exorbitant amount
> of money

 Jag prices should be in the neighborhhod of $120 parts, and 2.5 hours labor.
Labor rates vary greatly area to area. he aftermarket bushings are cheaper,
and a whole bunch easier to install.

> Are these the bushings holding the rack to the chassis or are they internal
> to the rack?  I suspect they must be somewhat obvious if oil is leaking on
> them.  How difficult are they to replace?  What is the general procedure for
> doing this work?

The three bushings are parallel to the rack, and pressed into three ears
cast into the housing. Getting the bushings out is difficult, getting the
new ones in without damage is even harder. It all depends on the equipment
you have available, and if you're putting back stock or aftermarket mounts.

I use aftermarket mounts. This are a slip fit into the housing ears, no
pressing required, which saves bunches of time. I also have air power and
a lift. So....
 I remove the three bolts holding the rack to the subframe, swing it out,
and support it with the hoses, tierods, and steering coupler still attached.
Then, using a specially shaped air chisel bit, I lovingly punch the old
junk out of the rack. Now it's simply a matter of slipping in the new mounts
and getting everything stuffed back into the subframe ears without dropping
any of the mount pieces.

  If I were to use the original stock mounts, somewhere down the line the
entire rack would have to be removed so that the new bushings could be
installed with a press and suitable arbor. This is the Jaguar approved
method, and where the hefty labor charge comes from.

  in the worst case, you should be able to order the bushings of your choice,
then remove the rack and carry everything to a machine shop for pressing.
It boils down to about 2 hours rack R&R, and .5 pressing time.

    Randy
      randy@taylor.wyvern.com