Re: British Cars Digest #1182 Sat Apr 23 01:15:01 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1182 Sat Apr 23 01:15:01 MDT 1994
From: buzz@ignatz.UCSD.EDU (Jayson Tipp)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 94 08:23:14 PDT
Sunbeam Alpine GTs:

There were actually 2 models produced which carried the badge GT. The first <CR>
was a version of the original-bodied Alpine (series 4 & 5) which as far as I<CR>
know was not significantly upgraded from the base Alpine.  I know someone with
one- I've never noticed anything different.  It was only released in Britain.

The second model, questioned by D. Stone, was a running mate to the later model
Rapier.  Chrysler had taken over and the design is often compared to the
Barracuda.  I've been in a few, and seen a few more.  It still carried the
Sunbeam 1725 with some modern modifications, and was comparable to the early
Dodge Colts, and other imports in fittings.  Nice examples are,...well...Nice!
Nothing fancy.

There's a Rootes group book a few years old now which explains some of this
stuff.  This later-model of Alpine in varying degrees of body changes continued
until the early 80s as a Talbot-badged vehicle after Talbot-Peugeot took over
from Chrysler.  Other Rootes car similarly continued for awhile- the Hunter is
a good example.

J. Tipp
UC-San Diego
I don't know why I like Hillmans