Re: Electronic flashers / trafficator

To: Ian Macky <imacky@us.oracle.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic flashers / trafficator
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 14:42:31 PDT
In message <9404182055.AA11498@kiwi.us.oracle.com> you write:

>PPS For the uninitiated, the light on my Smiths speedo for turn signals is
>    indeed labeled "trafficator".   Say huh?

Yes, the wonderful portmanteau word formed from 'traffic' and 'indicator'.
Older cars used to have these little arms that stick out from the sides and
light up to show which way you're turning.  My '51 Bentley has them, but when
I get it running again I'm going to see if I can't wire up some proper turn
signals too.  The arms (my Dad used to call them "Machts Nichts Sticks"
because people tend to ignore them (gee just like turn signals today)) are
k00l, but
people these days don't expect them.