Re: arcane electric question

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: arcane electric question
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 18:41:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Fellow fiends:

> Anyway, I gotta question for those of you out there who are experts in
> the wiring of the early Bs.  I bought a Moss harness ("complete") and
> everything is going fine except that I have one yellow wire, coming from
> the main loom out of the dash down to the connectors that then go on
> to the rear of the car (gas tank, lights).  I can't find a yellow wire in
> the Haynes wiring diagram to save my...  Any ideas what yellow was for?
> Keep in mind this is a '63.  Someone out there must remember what the
> yellow wires are for(?)

Due to the incrediably genious idea the British had of having an industry
wide wire coloring scheme, it doesn't really matter what year, or even
make/model. However, there were a few points which the color codes were
a bit hazy. This is one of them. On a MGB (any mgb), the yellow wire is
the power feed from the o/d dash switch to the 3/4 gear switch on the
transmission. The wire from the 3/4 switch to the o/d solenoid is
yellow/black. All MGB's had the o/d wiring built into the main harness.
If your car does not have an o/d, then you will not have the sub-harness
that runs down to the switchs and solenoid. Therefore, the yellow wire
will poke out of the main harness, and end. Do not be creative and
hook it up to something just to have it hooked up.

 But, if you have a use for that unused o/d switch (68-76 had the switch
even if not o/d), then go for it. On my first 74 'B, I used the o/d
switch for the driving lights. Push turn signal foward, high beams.
Pull wiper back, driving lights. :>

    Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com