Re: GT6+ out of hibernation! & dead K-car

To: emp0375@umoncton.ca (Michel Pelletier)
Subject: Re: GT6+ out of hibernation! & dead K-car
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 09:14:13 -0500 (CDT)
Michel Pelletier writes >

> I had brought along a fresh new battery and dropped it in.  After a few
> fluid checks, I turned it over.  Good cranking, but no firing.  No firing
> at all.  I check the plugs, everything looks fine.  Pop off the air
> filters, no smell of gas in the carbs.  After spraying some gas in the
> bowls, it started right up!  And in a few minutes, it was idling very
> smoothly.

Mechanical fuel pump, right?  The fool pump lost its prime over the
storage time.  Starter does not provide enough moxie to reprime it.  I ran
the Mighty K-wagon out of gas and pushed it into a gas station.  Filled it
up.  It would not start.  Dribbled some fuel into the carb, and she fired
right up.

BTW, the Mighty K-wagon has eaten her head gasket.  #3 and #4 are "sharing
space".  When I position the engine so all valves in 3 and 4 are closed,
and pressurize #4, the air comes screaming out of the spark plug hole in #3.
Rats.  And it took as long to get the VALVE COVER off as it would have
taken to PULL THE HEAD on my ex-Midget or my Europa.  Pulling the head is
going to be no picnic.  If I had any money for another car, I would just
junk it.