RE: MGA runneth over

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGA runneth over
From: BMC has the inside track on outdoor fun! <legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 09:57:00 EDT
>>I just had a complete rebuild on my MGA. It runs great but oddly when it
>>heats up, antifreeze runs out the overflow tube. Ah Ha- bad radiator
>>cap, mechanic tested it said no...There is no themostat in the engine. I
>>want to just buy a new cap? Anything else obvious? The overflow occurs
>>at a real low temp, starts at about 140 according to the gauge. What do
>>you thing? Also, I'm looking for seat rails and a fender well cover.

Did the mechanic test just the cap, or the cap while on the radiator.  MGAs
have
deep filler necks and if you have a shallow cap it won't seal properly.  I
would
try buying a new cap for the car from Moss Motors or somewhere like that (not a
local auto parts store, unless they can look up the number in a book).  I find
that lots of auto parts counter guys like to try to *impress* customers by just
rattling off what's what - not necessarily knowing what the hell they're
talking
about.  Consequently your 5 minute job turns into a 2 week investigative job
with
the end result being that the new part is not right for the car.

-Al
1957 Glacier Blue Roadster