MGB gasoline overflow from carb

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB gasoline overflow from carb
From: hiran@ee.uts.edu.au (Hiran Wijetilaka)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 17:14:30 EST
Hi folks,
Last long weekend finally saw me getting down to redoing the engine bay of the
'red monster'. To cut a long story short, the engine bay was stripped cleaned,
painted and all parts restored and put back. Then with baited breath the
ignition was turned and the car started !! A short test ride was to follow,
upon which
a full tank of petrol was fed in, in anticipation of the weekend to follow. This
was not to be as on returning home, a strong gasoline smell was noticed, and
upon investigation found to be leaking copious amounts from the rear overflow
of the float chamber. Having opened the chamber and inspected the needle and
seat, and checked the float itself for cracks etc ... none was found !!
Anyways, having swapped the needles from the two carbs, still the same problem.
I then swapped the floats themselves, and the problem then moved to the front
carb !! I therefore rechecked the offending float, only to find a very sling
mark
on it where the top of the needle sits ... I have ordered a new float, which I
should get either today or tomorrow but am still puzzled as to how such a small
mark/indentation would cause this much of an overflow...
I also checked that the fuel pump was doing its job by removing the hose from
bfore the carb and blocking it of with my finger before turing the ignition....
Any help would be greatly appreciated ....
Till then ..
Thanks,
--

hiran.

PS: Rogers heater can now be fixed and put into the red car in readiness for
winter !!

 _--_|\   Hiran Wijetilaka                          email: hiran@ee.uts.EDU.AU
/      \  Computer Systems Engineering              voice: +61 2 330 2372
\_.--._/  University of Technology, Sydney            fax: +61 2 330 2435
      v   PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia.

              Just when I thought I was getting used to yesterday,
                             along came today !!