Re: MGB gasoline overflow from carb

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB gasoline overflow from carb
From: "David Young" <dmy@mailgate.nyserda.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 94 11:19:51 EST
>British Cars Digest #1156                      Wed Apr 6 01:15:01 MDT 1994
>Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 17:14:30 EST From: hiran@ee.uts.edu.au (Hiran
>Wijetilaka)
>Subject: MGB gasoline overflow from carb
>
>was not to be as on returning home, a strong gasoline smell was noticed,
>and upon investigation found to be leaking copious amounts from the rear
>overflow of the float chamber. Having opened the chamber and inspected the
>needle and seat, and checked the float itself for cracks etc ... none was
>found !!  Anyways, having swapped the needles from the two carbs, still the
>same problem.  I then swapped the floats themselves, and the problem then
>moved to the front carb !! I therefore rechecked the offending float, only
>to find a very sling mark

     Hi Hiran.  I couldn't tell from your posting if you had attempted to
     adjust the float heights.  In general, you need to use the tab on the
     float (which presses against the needle) to adjust the height setting
     of the floats.  If the tab is bent too close to the floats, the floats
     will be allowed to come up too high before the tab presses the needle
     closed, (which lets in more gas than the float chambers can hold).

     dave
     dmy@nyserda.org