Oil priming

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil priming
From: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 1994 17:57:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks, sorry to be on the lurk list for so long. Here's my occasional
contribution to (and question for) the list:

The shop manual for the 52 TD states that when the engine is drained of oil,
the pump should be primed with oil after filling the sump. I noticed this, of
course, after starting the car after oil and filter were changed, and not
seeing any pressure at the guage for aprox 15 seconds. Should it be primed
after future changes?

At any rate, after checking fluids, tires, etc., I ventured out on Easter
Sunday with the car for the first time since October. Top down of course,
despite the 50 degree weather here in New England. The car ran flawlessly, and
what I intended to be a short trial run around town turned into a hour of
wind-in-the-face tour of our mountain roads (ugh..some still covered with
sand...nice to see how the car handles when the aft end lets loose..I second
the earlier thread about the predictability of the MG's handling). My wife and
daughter were less than pleased, as our Easter dinner was somewhat overcooked
because of my venture. Ah, priorities...

I came across a fellow in a red '72 MGB on the side of the road, who, like me,
took advantage of the day to liberate his car, and his spirit. The B was dead,
but as a true SOL, his spirits were high, especially given he was rescued by a
MG that was exactly 20 years junior to his. We found a dead battery, and after
a jump, all was well.  I managed to convince him of the need to join our local
LBC club (15 members strong!).

Let me say that I look forward each morning, to reading this list, and I
appreciate the patience afforded to relative LBC novices such as myself.

    Cheers,   -Doug
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of my restoration style"
        Doug Phillips
        1952 MG TD, Member, New England T Register (#11109) and Berkshire
        County British Motor Car Club / Williams College, Williamstown, MA