Re: Oil priming

To: Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu (Doug Phillips)
Subject: Re: Oil priming
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 15:27:21 PDT
> The shop manual for the 52 TD states that when the engine is drained of oil,
> the pump should be primed with oil after filling the sump. I noticed this, of
> course, after starting the car after oil and filter were changed, and not
> seeing any pressure at the guage for aprox 15 seconds. Should it be primed
> after future changes?

Over the past year or so I've seen a couple of articles in ACtion (ACOC
newsletter) on the subject of oil primers.  These articles described
auxiliary hand pump systems which I suspect go beyond what your TD
manual was referring to, but it seems to me that such an addition might
not be a bad idea for a car that's driven rarely or that is stored
during the winter.  Or, as in your car's case, requires priming after an
oil change.

I'd be happy to make photo copies of these articles for interested
parties.

Roland Dudley
cobra@cdc.hp.com