RE: TR6 engine confusion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 engine confusion
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 07:48:09 PST
>Jacob Zimmerman asks the question about TR6 distributors:

There has always been (and will always be) a bit of confusion about
distributors on early TR6's.  In '69 and early '70 they had both advance
and retard vacuum cans on them.  Sometime in late '70 or early '71 they
went to a retard-only setup for emissions reasons.  I have a '69, and
the original distributor has both.  About a year ago I swapped in my
'spare' engine (doesn't everyone keep spare parts?) which is a '70
(I'm pretty sure).  It too has both cans, but the advance fitting on the
carb is not drilled through!  I found this out during the first tune up
when trouble-shooting the non-working vacuum advance. Evidently it was
made in the transition period and they used the 2-can distributor
('cuz they had them on the shelf) but blanked off the port on the carb
to meet the retard-only requirement.  The really cute  bit is that they
ran the vacuum lines to both cans - evidently for appearance reasons.
A friend has a late '70/early '71 car with just the retard can on it

Hopefully generating light, not heat,

john